Translate

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Training Update 5.31.12

Time for a training update as it has been a banner week!


 This post does not pertain to 40k.


So if your not interested save yourself the the time and do not click on the "read more."




For the most part I have kept my training on the training page. However, I have had a great week in the gym and even though this is mostly a 40k blog, I do put some fitness content in here.

Here is the short of it:

I have been a bit stuck in my progress until this week. I was beginning to get discouraged. I had a few days off work and slept in 3/4 days in a row. I think this did me quite a bit of good. With the first work out of this week,  I have really blown through some plateaus.

I currently use a 5 x 5 routine. This means I keep the exercises to basic compound movements that engage the most amount of muscle. These include tough exercises like squats, dead lifts, bench presses, pull ups/chin ups, barbell rows, and incline barbell presses. Each exercise is done for 5 sets of 5 repetitions with as much weight as one can handle with safe, good form. When you get all 5 sets of  reps...you up the weight by 5-10lbs.

Here is the week I had:

Work Out One:
Dead lifts...365lbs (166kg) x 5; 405lb(184kg) for 5 sets of 5
Strict Overhead Presses...185lbs(84kg) for 5 sets of 5
Squats...250lbs(113kg) for 5 sets of 15 below parallel reps ( I keep these high reps due to the past damage I have had to my legs. I shattered both my lower legs in a motor vehicle accident)
Chin Ups...5x5

Work Out Two:
Bent Over Rows...365(166kg) for 5 sets of 5
Flat Bench Press...325lbs(147kg) for 5 sets of 5
I super set one arm rows (no straps) in between bench sets for 145lbs(66kg) for 5 sets of 5
Weighted Pull Ups....Bdy weight 280lbs(127kg) plus 25lb(11kg) plate 5 sets of 5
I super set with Incline Barbell Press....255lbs(116kg) for 5 sets of 5

Compared with where I started at the beginning of the year I am cruising right along and have my eye set on some goals by year end.

I am usually quite tired in the evening after these work outs but make sure to get 8+ hours of sleep; which I really believe is the magic ingredient.

Now many guys in the gym are stronger pound per pound so I don't take myself too seriously, but I am enjoying steady progress and have stayed really motivated despite my hectic work/travel schedule.

As always thanks for the read,

BDS

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...