Translate

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Training 1.24.13 and Reader Email: How did you gain the weight?

Today's training and response to mentioned email.

Body Weight 283lbs (That is with all my sweats on, phone, straps, and juice container...so somehow I lost some weight).

Warm Up and Warm Up sets (by the way once I get going I load the bar right to weight listed and I perform the following exercises in the order listed)

Dead Lifts: 405lb x 12,12
Standing Overhead Press: 185lb x 8, 8, 8 Super set with Bdy wt Pull Ups 10, 10, 10
Stiff Leg Dead Lift: 315lb x 12, 12
Seated Overhead Press to front: 205lb, 5, 5...135lb x 25
Lying Leg Curls Single Leg: 120lb x 12, 12 each leg

Weird workout. First, yeah a Nurse is the last person to drag themselves in to see a Doctor...go figure...and this flu I have had for over a week is affecting my breathing. Everything felt lighter for first 6 reps, then I really ran out of gas. The deads practically felt light for the first half and I have been waiting for 405 to fly off the floor for a while now.

I also confirmed my spot at the Can Am Bench Press Competition on Feb 2. I will be in the fat old fart division.....Super Heavy Weight (over 275lb) and Masters II (Age 45-49). I will be in the RAW group meaning no bench shirts and should be done by noon...so cool! My goal is 375lb. 405lb would make me giggle like a little girl and do a silly fat man dance. I should have a video of this to post.

On to the email:

I got an email asking how I gained about 30lb last year (250 to 280). Well, let me say I am not the best source for creative tips on gaining weight. I gain weight seemingly by positive thoughts only it feels. But, I can provide you the basics to get a good start.

There are three classic body types...Ectomorphic (skinny/lean).. .Mesomorphic (stocky/athletic/muscular) ....Endomorphic (large/greater body fat). You can also be a combination such as Meso-Endo Morphic. That is me. Big, with decent musculature, but carry plenty of body fat. Think football lineman.

Also in 2011 I was completing 1-3 5k runs per week and restricting my calories. I did this for a year straight and only cut from about 282 to 250. So while gaining weight is easy for me, losing it is a struggle.

However, I will give you Lesson Two in weight lifting...

Large Strong Bodies are built in the kitchen and the bedroom. 


This is a simplified example of how the cycle works:

A. 2 hour work out with basic, tough, heavy exercises, with reps 6-12 at 70 to 85% of your 1 rep max such as; (Squat, Bench, Dead Lift, Pull Ups, Rows)

B. 22 hours that include 6 meals giving 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight and 500-1000 more calories than you burned for the 24 hours, and 8-10 hours of sleep.

C. Enough off days and stuff mentioned in B to allow your recovery ability to ready you for next work out. (i.e. 2 on/1 off....for us old farts  1 on/1 off works pretty good)

See, working out stimulates the muscle, i.e. breaks it down. Food, namely protein provides the building blocks to build the muscle again, carbs the fuel for processes through the day, fat to lube the system. Sleep is where the rebuilding is done.

If you don't eat enough or sleep enough what you do in the gym won't matter much after your noob growth period...3-6 months. Especially if you are not 15-25 years old.

For fellas on the Eco-morphic side of the scale...think long distance runner build....limit your cardio. If you have a physical job...say carpenter etc....don't even do cardio. Also limit or eliminate your caffeine and smoking...both decrease your appetite and up your metabolism, amongst other negative effects on your health.

Weigh yourself once a week...if your not gaining weight add another 200 hundred calories a day.

What types of foods is a whole nother' post and this is getting long. But stick to foods that are nutrient rich and help yourself out with buying a weight gain power and mix with water or milk. I always use milk; 1/2% or 2%.

You would probably be surprised at how LITTLE I eat and still gain weight. But, this is me. You have to find what works for you.

Here is a regular day for me:

4 cups of coffee with creamer
5 Boiled Eggs
2 Bananas
3 Protein Shakes with Whey Isolate and 8oz of 2% milk
6-8 8oz glasses of water
2 cups of rice, oatmeal, or potatoes
Maybe some veggies...2-3 times per week, 2 servings
Peanuts for snacks, 2 cups
Green Tea, 12 oz
2 Energy/Protein Bars
2 chick breasts, pork, steak, or turkey..about 1/2 pound

That's it. I have a day a week I will eat whatever I want. That is usually a Jets Pizza or trip to Olive Garden for steak and pasta with the missus.

Definitely nothing spectacular there. I continue to gain weight and carry more body fat than I would recommend for most.

Hope this helps and thanks for the emails.

BDS

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...