Translate

Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Note About Goals

Being a registered nurse and manager of a facility that cares for persons with Traumatic Brain Injuries or TBI's, I know a thing or two about goals.

Goals are vague non-specific....The Pistons Will Qualify for the NBA Play Offs.
With each goal are multiple objectives. Objectives are specific and concrete. They follow the an acronym known as  SMART:
·         Specific
·         Measurable
·         Achievable
·         Realistic
·         Time Element
The Pistons will maintain a 85% at the free throw line per game. Specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and with a time element.
My goals this year are pretty general and of course not all inclusive, but to address those listed:
·         I will play a game a week on average for a period of one year...little behind on this objective.
·         Ah, this painting goal is a barely realistic. I am a notoriously slow (or should I say apathetic) painter. However, I have made great gains in my speed this year. So, I will paint a unit/single model per week as an objective.
·         With the last goal of weight loss, this one is personal. Having been in relatively good shape at one time, I am quiet disgusted with my current status. A recent close call with a blood clot in my leg has got me up and going. I will lose 1-2 pounds per week for 24 to 30 weeks. At 6' 3" and 280lbs at the start...this is a realistic...if very tough...objective.
There you have it. Good luck to all with goals for 2011.
BDS

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...